[meteorite-list] Auction Kings meteorite - $2000 Sikhote Alin

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:51:37 -0400

Hi Adam and List,

Some good points there.

About COA's - even if a COA comes from a trusted grading or
certification firm, the value in the COA is not the COA itself, it is
the name of the grading or certification service on it that is known
to collectors of that particular type of collectible. If you buy a
rare collectible and the COA says "Confirmed authentic by Acme
Certification Services, Walla Walla Washington, Serial number
#123456", then the value of the certificate is that the buyer or
potential buyer can contact Acme Services, have them check their
database and confirm that the item in question is indeed genuine.
However, anyone can print a piece of paper that looks like it came
from Acme Certification Services and the ruse will only be exposed if
the buyer follows up on the info printed on the COA. The COA itself
is worthless.

In the world of meteorites, there is no certification service or
central authority that can be relied upon to authenticate meteorites.
Without an authoritative body backing a COA, it's just a pretty piece
of paper.

Otherwise, I agree 100% with the other things you said. :)

Best regards,

MikeG
--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - MikeG