[meteorite-list] Franconia Iron with Attached Chondrite Material

From: Erik Fisler <phxerik_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 12:08:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hi list,

I only had time to hunt Franconia for two days this Spring Break.
Usually Nate Ditto and I blaze the Franconia, Gold Basin and Red lake
strewn fields for 4-7 days annually, not counting our other hunts during

the year. This time I went out with my father and Gary Spraggins to
find Gary his first meteorite.? Unfortunately I only had the chance
to hunt with Nate Ditto for only the first day.?

I did not manage to stumble onto any monster size chondrites

this trip but there is always the next trip.? Luckily I was consistently

hitting targets through out the two days.? I managed to find seven
chondrites ranging from 1g to the biggest being only 50 grams.
I do not have my scale at my apartment so weights will come soon.
I also managed to run across nine irons, all very good size
and most of them were oriented as apposed to the irons that 'peeled'

out at a lower elevation break up.?

One of the irons I noticed still had some chondrite attached to it!
Here's a photo of the iron with attached chondrite material:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78521917 at N03/6883889162/in/photostream/lightbox/

p.s. Congrats to Gary for finding his first meteorite.

Enjoy

-Erik