[meteorite-list] Sutters Mill - mass and stone count

From: Count Deiro <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 09:36:27 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Hi Listees,

Well. Now one can see the effect of the popularization of meteorites, through their exposure in the mass media, on the general public. $4,000 a gram for an unclassified carbonaceous chondrite! I was asked yesterday to pay, what computed to be $3,000 a gram, for some Cali driveway crumbs. I wouldn't legitimize them by calling them "frags". And I have news for you....one of our best known "johnny on the spot" hunter/collectors forked over $22,000 for a, less than 20 gram, broken piece!

Yes, friends. You have just seen the end of an era in the collection and valuation of meteorites. This fall will go down, as Ruben said so presciently on national TV, as the most important fall in the history of the United States. Why? Because never again will we be allowed, almost unfettered access to public and private lands, nor will we be able to purchase, even fragments, for any sane amount of money. The proverbial cat is out of the bag. The "publik" will never let it be put back in again.

But, there is an upside to this "revoltin development" (William Bendix - The Life of Riley- 1952). Just think of how much our collections just increased in value. :0)

Best to all,

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536