[meteorite-list] [2] Asteroid Or Comet Sutters Mill

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 10:02:34 -0700

Not guilty!

It was 1.2 AU away from the Earth at the time--nice try! There are,
however other C-type NEOs that are around and could keep our supply up.

By the way, 13 of the 20 largest asteroids in the Main Belt are either
C-type or B-type and I think that all of them have the spectral signature
of hydrated silicates and make up something like 45% of the mass of the
entire asteroid belt (Ceres itself is 1/3 of the entire mass of the
asteroid belt). So lots of potential sources for CM meteorites, though I
think that 10 Hygiea is the best candidate at the moment (spectrum,
location, etc.).

Larry