[meteorite-list] Sutter's Mill Find Page - Updated and Summary

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 15:47:45 -0400

Since building a "find tally" page for this Sutter's Mill fall, I have
been contacted by a wide range of people who are involved with the
hunt for stones. Using this information, reports to this List, and
media reports, I have assembled a running count of finds and an
approximation of the TKW. This information is by no means definitive,
but it does closely cross-check against Dr. Peter Jenniskens' official
listing. It contains a few finds that are not listed on his official
page that has coordinates for most of the finds. I don't know if this
is because they have not been reported to him yet, or he has simply
has not updated the official list yet. The list I have compiled is
current as of this writing at approx. 3:30pm EST.

Highlights -

->I would call this a ballpark figure - the TKW is : 240.32g

This does not include reported finds without weights or finds that
cannot be verified or cross-checked.

->There have been approx. 30 individual finds. There are of course
likely to more than this.

->The current main mass is the Monroe 19.1g stone

->There is one confirmed hammer stone - The Matin stone (~12.5g)
struck a garage.

->All of the stones are freshly-crusted and give the appearance
expected of a carbonaceous chondrite of the CM, CI, or other similar
type. Oriented stones with striking roll-over lips and textbook
orientation features have been seen. Many of the stones broke during
in-flight fragmentation or upon impact.

->The expected meteorwrongs have surfaced. Terrestrial nodules and
asphalt slags have been reported and ruled out.

->The obligatory eBay "new Sutter's Mill Huge Meteorite" has been
offered for a mere $700,000. Any takers? ;)

I am updating this page multiple times a day, so check it frequently
for updates.

Unofficial Sutter's Mill (Coloma, Lotus) Find Tally page -
http://www.galactic-stone.com/pages/lotus

--
MikeG - Galactic Stone & Ironworks
Web: http://www.galactic-stone.com