[meteorite-list] Sutter's Mill slices question, Impact Melt?

From: meteorhntr at aol.com <meteorhntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 17:43:16 +0000

Well Mike,

If I can add a measly 10% to the body of knowledge of this meteorite, by sacrificing one little stone (heck if I can help add 1/10 of 1%) I think that would be great.

My guess is that a lot of these stones that are going into both institutional and private collections won't ever be broken up much less in a "non contaminated" way and they will sit as whole stones behind glass for thousands of years.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

I'm just saying that one might gather from your post below that you were implying in a self righteous manner that I might have done something horribly wrong by having one of these (already contaminated) meteorites sliced?

Of course there are opportunity costs in any course of action one takes. The slices I have now, while they are not useful anymore for SOME research and some examination purposes, they are however are VERY interesting (at least to me) in what they show. I see things that quite frankly, I am not sure one can see from a broken fragment.

I am sure a thin section would show much of this better, but then of course, one would really be "destroying" a lot of material to get a thin section. (Look out Anne and E.T., there might be an IMCA violation in there somewhere toward you guys. - just kidding)

Anyway, I think any researcher who will want to purchase any of my slices will be quite aware of the research limitations that the cutting has placed on the slices.

But thanks for your concern Mike.

Steve Arnold
Host of Meteorite Men