[meteorite-list] Sutter's Mill 0.55 gram

From: James Baxter <jbaxter112_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 00:17:14 -0400

Sent Mike farmer some pictures of the crust side of the tiny fragment I found and he suggested I share them with the list.

The piece is only 6 by 9 mm but packs as much interest per gram under the microscope as any meteorite I've seen. The small bit of crust on the side of the lip away from the direction of flight is iridescent in places and has staining around many of the little holes where material outgassed:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v614/CaneySprings/?action=view&current=SuttersMill0-55gmcrustshowinglip.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v614/CaneySprings/?action=view&current=SuttersMill0-55gmcrustandlip.jpg

another picture of the crust:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v614/CaneySprings/?action=view&current=SuttersMill0-55gmcrustb.jpg

The back, broken side has a lot of small white crystals:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v614/CaneySprings/?action=view&current=SuttersMill0-55gmbrokensurface.jpg

and a nice 1mm chondrule:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v614/CaneySprings/?action=view&current=SuttersMill0-55gmchondrule.jpg

An amazing meteorite,