[meteorite-list] Sutter's Mill - Find Updates, Trivia, Observations (May 25, 2012)

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 11:56:37 -0400

Hi Folks,

Well, the fall is over a month old now and it has been officially
classified. New finds are few and far between. I will continue to
update the unofficial find tally page for the forseeable future, or
until the new finds completely dry up. In the meantime, I thought it
might be fun to share some stats and trivia about this fall.

Official TKW - 437 grams
Unofficial TKW (counting unreported finds) - 463.73 grams

Number of official finds (cataloged so far) - 47
Number of finds (counting unreported stones) - 56
Finds by female hunters - 12
Finds by teams or pairs - 10
Finds by meteorite-hunting dogs - 0
Number of finds donated to NASA - 2

Largest find (main mass) - 42.4g (Robert Ward)
Smallest complete find - 100mg oriented whole stone (Robert Ward)
Most finds by a single hunter - 3 (Robert Ward)
Official Sutter's Mill Hunter Extraordinaire - Robert Ward

Hammer stones - 1 (Suzie Matin garage stone, approx. 12.5g)

In the last 48 hours, I have received reports of two new finds, but I
am waiting to get further details about them.

There is still at least one large unreported stone out there. I have
seen photos of it and discussed it with the finders. If reported and
verified, it would become the largest known find (main mass).
Hopefully the finders will release some photos and details about this
stone to the public.

Official Find Page (Dr. Jenniskens) - http://asima.seti.org/sm/
Unofficial Find Tally Page - http://www.galactic-stone.com/pages/lotus
Official Met Bulletin Entry -
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=55529

To the hunters still in the field - GOOD LUCK!

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - MikeG