[meteorite-list] Question 1 & 2

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 22:54:21 -0500

Pete, List

The Moon BOTH revolves AND rotates
One revolution for each rotation; one rotation
for each revolution. Synchronous, it's called.

The Moon's tides slow the Earth's axial rotation,
making the day longer. In the past the day was
shorter and the number of days per year was greater

Because the angular momentum of the Earth-Moon
system must be conserved, the loss of energy from
the Earth's rotation is "pumped" into the Moon's
orbit causing the Moon to orbit at a greater distance.

The Moon slowly recedes from the Earth and is
doing so today. It will continue getting further and
further away until the Earth either loses the Moon
or the Sun eats us both in about five billion years.

How fast the Earth rotated when the Moon formed
is guesswork (with lots of equations thrown in).
6 hours? 12 hours? How close did the Moon form?
Nobody knows, but outside the Roche Limit (about
three Earth radii) or it would have broken up from
the Earth tides.

You shoulda oughta read that Meteorite List:
http://www.mail-archive.com/meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com/msg106159.html
"The Moon DOES rotate on its axis. If it didn't,
we on the Earth would have a slow month-long
changing view of every spot on the Moon. There
would be no "near" side and "far" side. If you were
looking at what we call the near side tonight, in
two weeks you would be looking at the "far" side."

Sterling K. Webb