[meteorite-list] missed opportunity (was, Re: NASA SETI Misappropriation of Tax Payer Funds)

From: Greg Hupé <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 22:56:57 -0400

Bob,

I respect your 'protected' stance on this subject, however when you say this
was a, "missed opportunity [for outreach]...", was in fact part of
Jennisken's grand plan as quoted in the article and stated by the 'private
citizen' getting the 'free ride' on "The Blimp". I will quote here for one's
direct assessment...

"Jenniskens invited Rivera to join him and another scientist on the airship
ride over Novato and parts of unincorporated Sonoma County, following the
trajectory of the Oct. 17 fireball. Rivera said he took an oath not to tell
what they saw for fear that rogue meteorite hunters ? eager to sell galactic
collectibles on eBay ? might pounce on new potential meteorite locations and
rob scientists' ability to research more rocks."

I personally take issue with his entire paragraph! It insults the dedication
from us, "rogue [private] meteorite hunters", actual meteorite scientists
and the average enthusiast at large! What a slap in the face from an
media-hungry astrologer to make against us who have committed our lives to
the world of real meteorite recovery, science and sharing through the
expansion of actual knowledge to the entire world! We, as private citizens,
have donated more to the study and knowledge of meteoritics than anyone
really knows. Most contributions are made by private individuals who donate
because they can and want to without the hype or the huge mug shot photo
opp!!

It scares me to think that an individual who is not even knowledgeable about
the most simplistic aspects of a meteorite is out there representing our
national treasure, NASA! What a let down if this rogue astrologer is allowed
to continue his personal slime campaign against the private sector!! Shame,
shame!!

Best Regards,
Greg

Greg Hup?