[meteorite-list] Alabama Fall - News Article with Questionable Fact?

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 13:19:29 -0400

Hi List,

I ran across this article today. First, I did not recall hearing
anything about a possible fall over Alabama. (perhaps I just missed
it)

But upon reading the article, I ran across a statement that
contradicts my understanding of meteorite finding on public land.

>From the article :

"A meteorite found on public property, such as the Bankhead National
Forest, belongs to the person who finds it, Cooke said."

It was my understanding that meteorites found in National Forests
belong to the federal or state government. Is this true?
Metal-detecting, fossil hunting and artifact hunting are restricted in
National Forests and I had always assumed that meteorites fell under
the same controls. ???

Article link - http://blog.al.com/breaking/2012/11/now_its_meteorite_hunters_fall.html

Best regards and happy huntings,

MikeG