[meteorite-list] Fwd: First Alabama stone found!

From: Frank Cressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 09:02:08 -0800 (PST)

Hi Marc, Robert, and all,

Congratulations to Jerry and his group for their find and to Marc,Rob, Jake and
Jeff for their great work and call (a "10" before stones were even found).

A little history of the area where the new fall occurred.? This is the 5th
witnessed fall to occur in this small area of NW Alabama that measures about 60
miles by 50 miles.? Two falls occurred here in 1868; Danville (L6) fell on Nov.
27 and eight days later Frankfort (stone) fell on Dec. 5.? During the 20th
century Leighton (H5) fell in 1907 and Athens (LL6) fell in 1933.? Finally we
have the latest fall near Addison, located only about 10 miles from the first
fall at Danville.

Two falls also fell in adjacent states within 75 miles of this small?NW Alabama
area.? Baldwyn (L6), Mississippi fell in 1922 and Petersburg (Eucrite),
Tennessee fell in 1855.

That's seven falls during the last 144 years in this small area.? Perhaps this
is the fabled "Meteorite Graveyard;" the place that meteors go to die!? Sounds
like a good place to move to.

Cheers,

Frank