[meteorite-list] Admire Pallasite Destruction!

From: MikeG <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 12:45:01 -0500

Hi Adam and List,

Very nice cutting station. I am jealous! Mine is a simple 6" trimsaw
and a light. But there is always a couple gallons of distilled water
nearby.

Nobody has ever accused you Adam, or your brother Greg, or poorly
preparing specimens. Without a doubt, Hupe preparation is
consistently some of the best in the business. Even your small
micromounts of OC's have top-notch preparation and quality. I've
never had a single complaint about the hundreds (literally) of Hupe
specimens I have owned over the years. Good job and keep it up. You
guys set the preparation bar pretty high.

To answer Matt's question about how long a dealer should "guarantee" a
specimen, well, in my opinion, that is a tough question. I think it
depends on how that dealer markets a specimen. If the specimen is
promoted and marketed as "stable", then I think a year, maybe two
years, is a reasonable period for a dealer to stand behind a "stable"
specimen. Anything beyond that is unrealistic. Even under the best
of circumstances, meteorites are alien to this world and everything
about our environment is poisonous to them. The surefire solution is
to store them the same way NASA does - in a 100% clean controlled
environment.

And as Adam said - DISTILLED WATER IS CHEAP. One measly dollar spent
can help ensure a more stable specimen. Dealers and cutters take
notice.

Best regards,

MikeG

--