[meteorite-list] A silly question about South Korean Meteorites

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 22:01:21 -0400

Hi Listees,

Just a curious idle question here. I've had sales from almost every
corner of the world. Occasionally I get a sale from a remote place
that I am unfamiliar with and I have to Google it to see where the
heck it is. (Cook Islands anyone?)

When it comes to Asia, I have customers in Vietnam, Japan, China,
Mongolia, the Philippines, and Taiwan. But I have never had a sale to
South Korea. This seems odd to me, since I have several dozen Twitter
followers in South Korea, and South Korea seems like a more likely
place to generate sales than Mongolia or Vietnam.

Thinking on this, South Korea seems like a void in a meteorite world.
We hear about meteorite falls in China. There are meteorite dealers
in Taiwan, Japan, China, and Vietnam. But I never hear anything about
meteorites, meteorite dealing, or meteorite collecting in South Korea.

So, what's the deal with South Korea? Is this just an anomaly for me?
 Are other dealers getting sales to South Korea? Do I need to open a
regional Galactic Stone office in Seoul to spread the word?

Trivia : According to the Met Bulletin, there are 3 official
meteorites (all falls) from South Korea - Duwun (L6, 1943), Gyokukei
(OC, 1933), and Unkoku (OC, 1924). Apparently there have been no
meteorite finds or falls recovered in South Korea in the last 69
years.

Best regards,

MikeG

--