[meteorite-list] Mill Valley field report

From: Brien Cook <contact_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 17:40:50 -0700

For what it's worth I thought I'd share my experience up at Mill Valley today. My son and I did 11-miles just East of Bon Tempe Lake, which is the northern most point a radar signal was picked up. We saw no other meteorite hunters the entire day. The area is a large recreational area with tons of mountain bikers, hikers and fishermen. There are countless trails and fire roads intersecting the radar signature. But because it is so popular the trails are heavily traversed, which I think will make finding anything on or near a trail unlikely. Aside from the trails there are some hills with tall yellow grass that is mostly lying down. This makes looking in those areas so much easier then Sutter's Mill where the grass was upright. The rest of the area is heavily wooded, which is going to make finding anything in there near impossible. I use the app EveryTrail on my iPhone and uploaded the areas we covered to my FB page for those of you who are friends. If not and you want it drop me a line and I'll send it to you
. It would at least save you some time covering the same ground.

Needless to say we didn't find anything. But it was a beautiful hike and the weather was perfect! I'd like to focus more north-east in the future.