[meteorite-list] Novato (N1) found -- why the Orioniddescription?

From: Don Merchant <dmerchan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 20:57:17 -0500

Hi Bob. It could very well be, but then the meteorite... it should seem,
would have to be a carbonaceous chondrite, since the Orionids are remnants
of Halley's Comet! Last I knew all comets are usually composed of
carbonaceous chondrite material. As far as the date being the 17th, the
Orionids have a longer period of meteor shower then most other meteor
showers. That means the Orionids can last several weeks BUT the peak of the
Orionid shower falls around Oct. 20-21. This peak is where
scientists/astronomers have calculated where the Earth's orbit comes into
the path of the most debris left by Halley's comet. Also remember that the
debris path with Halley's comet covers a long wide swath in the solar
system, thus the longer length in time of meteor shower. Hope this helps or
clears it up some.

Sincerely
Don Merchant
Founder-Cosmic Treasures Celestial Wonders
www.ctreasurescwonders.com
IMCA #0960