[meteorite-list] Lisa Webber's is a meteorite

From: Gary Fujihara <fujmon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 06:39:09 -1000

Well Michael,

I work at an astronomical research institute and I know that most astronomers here could not find and identify extended objects or stars in the night sky with their unaided eyes. Of course, they can differentiate their spectra and other data that they acquire through large telescopes quite adeptly.

In much the same way, most meteoriticists can identify mineralogy, chemistry and petrology of a sectioned meteorite, as well as interpret data acquired through ion/electron microprobes, SEM and other instrumentation quite well. But identifying a meteorite in the field is quite a different story, and requires skill and patience to accurately find and identify these rocky interlopers from space.

Cut the scientists some slack and give due credit to those hunters who have honed their skills at finding and identifying meteorites from hard working experience in the field.

gary