[meteorite-list] Holbrook for sale on Facebook

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 22:32:01 -0700 (PDT)

I guess we stand corrected...

----- Original Message -----
From: Stuart McDaniel <actionshooting at carolina.rr.com>
To: Mark Bowling <minador at yahoo.com>; meteorite-list <meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:30 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Holbrook for sale on Facebook

The guy that has it for sale just posted that he actually was the one to find it.

*****************************
Stuart McDaniel
Lawndale, NC
Secr.,
Cleve. Co. Astronomical Society

IMCA #9052
Sirius Meteorites

Node35 - Sentinel All Sky

http://spacerocks.weebly.com

*********************************
-----Original Message----- From: Mark Bowling
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:21 PM
To: meteorite-list

I agree with Jason, it doesn't look quite right.

It's always hard to tell from photos, but if it looked this way in person, I would not have guessed Holbook.? If someone cleans/shines them up, it can really change the look of them.

I've found a lot Holbrook and seen a lot taken in the field, and I thought I knew them well.? But I was surprised a few years ago at the difference, when I saw one cleaned with chapstick just hours after being found in front of many witnesses.? I had to adjust my thinking (I've always left mine as found, dirt and all, and I'm glad I have).

But even so, that doesn't really change the thickness of the crust.? It just looks strange - it could be a Holbrook that's been handled a lot, like being carried in a pocket (???).

Unless you really trust this person, I'd stay away, but that's just me (the seller could be on the up and up).

Mark

P.S nice finds Jim!