[meteorite-list] how many lunar/martian meteorites?

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 12:40:56 -0400

Hi Gang,

That is an amazing number. This is especially true when one recalls
the heyday of Calcalong Creek and Bessey Specks of same. It's amazing
how far the collector market has come in just 10 or 12 years.

However, there may be planetary meteorites available by the dozen now,
but they are still the rarest of the rare when it comes to natural
materials found on Earth. The total known weight of every known
planetary meteorite combined does not equal the weight of the gold
around Mr. T's neck. Ok, that's a horribly outdated reference, but
the point is valid just the same. ;)

The recent frenzy over Tissint is a recent example of just how rare
and special planetary meteorites are. :)

FWIW, you can find solid data on lunar and martian meteorites on these
pages linked below. I'm not sure how often they are updated, but the
data found there is authoritative :

Lunars - http://meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/moon_meteorites_list_alpha.htm

Martians - http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/snc/index.html

Best regards,