[meteorite-list] Fw: Battle Mountain

From: Paul Gessler <cetuspa_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 14:23:40 -0700

and here:

http://www.homefacts.com/offender-detail/IDSX23213/Miles-Jeffrey-Inama.html

-----Original Message-----
From: wahlperry at aol.com
Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2012 1:58 PM
To: meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com
Subject: [meteorite-list] Battle Mountain

Hi List,

I just wanted to give an update on my experience in Battle Mountain and
squelch any rumors that may be out there. Many of you read about my
encounter with a young miner whom agreed to exchange find information
with me as well as sell me the meteorite that he had found. This miner
is now out of jail and is back in the area working.

I want to make it very clear that it was never my intention to see
him get into trouble. After realizing that I had been lied to, etc.. I
just wanted my hangun back. I had no real hard feelings, I just felt
since he tricked me I should ask for my gun back.

I don't think that this young man realizes that he
would have been caught one way or the other for posession of a firearm.
You see, once I had turned in my Blue Card and the exchange of
ownership information (which he signed and provided his legal name,
address, etc) the authorities would have discovered the fact that he is
a felon and not allowed to own a firearm. Did he really think that the
authorities would let him own a handgun? This man came across as a
genuinely nice honest person. I believed him when he told me he would
show me where the meteorite fell, that he found it the night of the
fall and that he had the meteorite in a safety deposit box. As it
turned out, everything he told me was not true. He had already sold the
meteorite to another hunter, he had told the other hunter the true find
location and he did not discover the stone the night of the fall. It
wasn't until another hunter trained him what to look for that he
discovered it. It is still a spectacular meteorite and I do not want to
take anything away from this beautiful specimen.

I just want to make it clear that I had no idea that he was a felon and
was tricking me. If he simply would have declined to exchange the
handgun as part of the deal he never would have ended up in trouble. Of
course, he would have still been lying to me about everything else. I
still am having a hard time understanding why a certain meteorite
hunter who is a member of a respected meteorite collectors group would
stand up for this young man and feel that he should have been able to
keep the gun. I still don't know how else this could have been handled.
Perhaps he didn't take the time to get all of the facts.

So for those who are or will be out in the field hunting for the Battle
Mountain meteorite do not be duped by strangers in the field. Although I
am certain that there are plenty of good people out there in the field.
In my opinion there are also a few who may not be as honest.

Below are links to some articles I found on the man in question.

http://smalltownnews.com/article.php?catname=Local%20Government&pub=The%20Long%20Valley%20Advocate&pid=164pub=Long%20Valley%20Advocate&aid=45143

http://lva.stparchive.com/Archive/LVA/LVA04142010p08.php

Thanks,
Sonny