[meteorite-list] Diogenite Nomenclature

From: barrat at univ-brest.fr <barrat_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 23:16:09 +0200

Hi Mike,

No. The "Olivine diogenites" do not display systematically a texture different
to that of regular diogenites. Tatahouine is not a correct example because it is
unbrecciated and have very large crystals. The largest I have seen is 5 cm in
length! Tatahouine is unique. NWA 5480 is exceptional too, but of course
different to Tatahouine. If you compare two brecciated diogenites, one with
olivine, the other devoid (or nearly devoid) of olivine, (e.g., Roda with
Johnstown), you cannot tell with the hand specimens which one is the "olivine
diogenite". You need polished sections.

You are certainly able to distinguish NWA 1877, from NWA 5480, Bilanga and
Tatahouine. They are different rocks with particular aspect. It is not so simple
with all the diogenites!

Cheers

Jean-Alix