[meteorite-list] [Fwd: Re: Links to BLM meteorite rules]

From: hall at meteorhall.com <hall_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 14:31:45 -0400

Subject: Re: Links to BLM meteorite rules
From: hall at meteorhall.com
Date: Thu, September 20, 2012 2:23 pm
To: meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com

Wang, well stated! Thank you.
   It would have been better for the new meteorite collecting rules to
match that of collecting fossil (petrified) wood, which gives a limit
of 25 pounds plus one piece per day, per person (the one piece can
weigh quite a bit) up to 250 pounds per year, per person. Still,
petrified wood collected in this manner and on Federal Land cannot be
sold or traded, which means if I put a little piece of pet wood that I
have polished into a mineral club auction, I'm breaking the law. I'm
quite sure that this silly law gets broken many thousands of times a
year by rock club members all over the USA, as most love to trade
pieces for their collection, and they see nothing wrong with putting a
little polished piece into a club auction where much of the money
generated goes to the club fund, where some of it is used to help out
geology students in college. At least that is what the rock clubs I
belong to do with club funds.
   This new regulation will just make criminals out of meteorite hunters,
if their find is a gram over 10 pounds (hey, I'd love to find an 11
pound meteorite, as I've never found a meteorite anywhere near ten
pounds!) or if they someday decide to sell the find, say when they are
near the end of their life and want to spare family members from having
to clear out a lifetime of rock collecting, and they have a BLM found
meteorite or petrified wood piece in the collection.
   So, another poorly thought out law is "SET IN STONE", pun intended.
Wang is correct! Call and e-mail the BLM to express your dislike of the
new regs. POLITELY ask the BLM to loosen up the regulations, as we
don't need our meteorite, gold, or rock collecting Americans being
fined or going to jail because of a love for their hobby.
Regards, Fred Hall