[meteorite-list] Friday Thoughts

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 19:23:08 -0500

Kevin, List,

A 500 meter asteroid would weigh about 144 million
tons. In rock generally (Earth's crust) platinum makes
up about 1/1,000,000 of 1%. There would be about
1.5 tons of platinum, or 1500 kilos, or 1,500,000 grams,
worth about $2,250,000,000. More or less.

All you have to do is pick through it one atom at a
time and drop all the platinum atoms into a baggie...
You'll need about 3,000 baggies for your asteroid's
platinum.

And a pair of atomic tweezers.

However, Planetary Resources is welcome to drop
one of their platinum wiffleballs in my back yard
any time.

http://www.economist.com/node/21553419
The platimun value of Earth rock wouldn't pay the
mission cost, much less the cost of its own extraction.
But it is beieved that asteroids are much richer in these
materials than the Earth's crust. The current theory
is that asteroids brought these materials to Earth but
that they followed the iron down into the core during
formation, leaving only traces behind.

The highest meteoritic abundances are found in the
metal-rich phases of chondrites and in iron meteorites.
Abundances are similar to iridium. (Remember the
iridium marker zone 65 million years ago?)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/24/us-space-asteroid-mining-idUSBRE83N06U20120424
"Planetary Resources... said a 30-meter long (98-foot)
asteroid can hold as much as $25 billion to $50 billion
worth of platinum at today's prices, [co-founder]
Diamandis said."

The abundance of platinum may be as much as 900
times more than earth's crustal rocks. That would make
our 500 meter example (above) worth 2 TRILLION
in platinum.

Here's another interesting reference on asteroidal
platinum:
http://www.astronomysource.com/tag/platinum-from-asteroids/

Sterling K. Webb