[meteorite-list] Chelyabinsk meteorite sales--Where are the Hunters!

From: Don Merchant <dmerchan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 23:38:36 -0500

Hi List. I guess I am surprised here with the Chelyabinsk event. It has to
be one of the most historical events in many decades. For sure one of the
most media covered meteorite events! My confusion surrounds the fact that
less meteorite events (still extraordinary but less covered then the
Chelyabinsk event) like Carancas, Park Forest, etc. that these events were
stormed with famous meteorite Hunters running or flying out to find some
treasures to keep and sell.. Where are these same Hunters/ Dealers with the
Chelyabinsk event!!? The Mike Farmers, the Michael Cottingham's, the Steve
Arnold's, the Geoffrey Notkin's etc! All REAL QUIET. Isn't this one of the
greatest events in history with what appears to be many stones all over the
strewnfield. Yet hardly a well know Hunter to count on for purchasing
specimens. What is there no money to make on this event to cover the cost of
flying to Russia? Collectors have to rely on taking a risk with little or no
name Sellers. Where or what happened to the American Dealers and Sellers
with this meteorite event? I mean its been almost 2 months since the fall.
Is something going on as a collector I/We should know about? I had heard of
2 reputable Hunters stating they were going to Russia, but total silence! Am
I the only one who is confused on this whole Chelyabinsk event with many top
well known Dealer/Seller/Hunter's?