[meteorite-list] Don Yeomans Named in Time's 100 Most Influential People in the World

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 09:14:41 -0700 (PDT)

http://time100.time.com/2013/04/18/time-100/slide/don-yeomans/

The 2013 TIME 100

TIME presents its annual list of the 100 most influential people in the world,
from artists and leaders to pioneers, titans and icons

Pioneers
Don Yeomans
Asteroid hunter, 70
By Rusty Schweickart
April 18, 2013

Don Yeomans is one of the reasons we can all sleep a little better at night.
For over a decade, Don and I have been hunting for incoming asteroids that
come too close to Earth, with Don leading the NASA effort to find and track
them, while I focus via the B612 Foundation - named for the asteroid home of
the Little Prince - on how to deflect them if necessary.

Every night, telescopes make thousands of asteroid observations which go to
Don's premier team at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, where that data is
converted into information about the trajectory of the rocks years or even
decades into the future.

One day, without question, it will be Don and his team who issue a warning to
the world that it's time to launch a deflection campaign to prevent an
incalculable disaster. We know how things worked out for the dinosaurs; it
takes a levelheaded leader like Don to spare us their fate.

Schweickart, founder of the B612 Foundation, flew aboard the Apollo 9 mission