[meteorite-list] Uh! Oh!

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 20:44:15 +0200

Sorry,

(apart from this adding up at least as much as the meteorite laws Anne
defends),
please don't do it like Anne did.

Turkey is known for more than ten years to have made series of arrests for
the same reasons. Turkey is very popular in Europe for beach holidays and
family vacations (cause cheaper and better service than e.g. Greece).
Never pick up stones from the beach as souvenirs!

The most uproar here in Germany was, when a father was arrested for his
9-years-old sun having picked up an amorphous stone of marble at the beach.
(Where later an "expert" commission decided (I doubt, they could have proved
it), that it could stem from a base of an antique statue).

Such cases happen a dozen times per year, usually they are "solved" for
foreign tourists with an imprisonment on remand of up to half a year in a
Turkish jail and a fine of ca. 10,000$.
(Same applies to accidentally picked up fossils).

Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----