[meteorite-list] Meteoritic stardust anti-ageing cream

From: Mendy Ouzillou <ouzillou_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 07:45:13 -0700 (PDT)

Adam,

During the campus-wide Berkeley Days event last weekend, Crystal, Jacob and I went to visit Jason, Peter and Barbara Utas who put on an incredible outreach/educational program. In a classroom of the earth sciences building, they displayed some impressive specimens from their collection. They were so swamped that I volunteered to help for about 1.5 hours answering various questions from the very young to the very old, from the really ridiculous to the really thoughtful.

This woman came in with her two children and began quizzing me about meteorites having special energy or properties (not the scientific kind either). She then proceeded to tell me that her homeopathic doctor "prescribed" meteoritic iron to give to one of her children for either breathing or anxiety issues. I was suffering from both of those as she was telling me her story and thankfully had 2 grams of Sikhote Alin between the cheek and gums to address the issues. When I calmly explained to her that meteorites are made up of the same things as earth rocks and in fact contained trace amounts of other undesirable things that should not be given to children, she grew slightly offended and told me that her homeopath (wait for it ...), "well, he is a doctor"?before?waling out the door.

After the visitor left, I told the story to Peter (who is a practicing medical doctor) and Jason and they suggested it was probably just an off-the-shelf iron supplement and we all sighed in relief that she was probably only being scammed. I then promptly spit out the Sikhote.

I was able to educate two people who came in about the synergy between hunters, collectors and scientists and hopefully cleared away some of their misconceptions regarding meteorite ownership.

My favorite moment was when a 10 or 11 year old boy told me he saw the Novato fire ball. I told him to go tell Jason because he would be really jealous ;-) and ask Jason to show him an actual Novato meteorite. HOW COOL IS THAT!!!!?

All in all, huge kudos to Jason and his family for putting on an incredible event that clearly requires significant effort. The effort is also physical in that they bring in LARGE irons for everyone to enjoy.
?

Mendy Ouzillou