[meteorite-list] Chelyabinsk - IMB or SMB? The nomenclature of Melts.

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 20:41:39 -0400

Hi List,

We keep hearing about the "IMB nodules" that have been recovered -
these have an all-black lithology with no chondrules, shock veins, or
grey matrix material.

However, these nodules were not created on impact. Had there been
such an impact, we would have a visible crater and the nodules would
be located in a radius directly adjacent to the crater amidst the
ejecta. Instead, these nodules were apparently created during the
fragmentation events that took place while the body was still in
atmospheric flight.

If this is true, shouldn't these nodules be called "shock melt" and
not "impact melt" ?

Is there any distinction in the official nomenclature between an
impact melt and a shock melt?

Is it correct to continue using IMB in reference to these Chelyabinsk specimens?

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Web - http://www.galactic-stone.com