[meteorite-list] Cassini Observes Meteors Colliding With Saturn's Rings

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 22:04:45 +0100

I'd agree that a meteor can't collide with Saturn's rings, but it would be correct usage to say a meteor collided with an airplane, a bird, or maybe even the ground were it still hypersonic and ablating, since at that stage both the visual effect and the body itself are typically called a "meteor" (something the IAU is considering formalizing last I heard).

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com