[meteorite-list] Chelyabinsk - IMB or SMB? The nomenclature of Melts.

From: Jim Wooddell <jimwooddell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 06:17:49 -0700

In classification I think there is this:

Impact melt breccias = Shock melted rocks with unmelted clasts

Impact melt breccia clasts = Clasts of impact melts with enclosed
unmelted debris

Impact melt clasts = Fragments solely of impact melt

(Ref: http://www.lpi.usra.edu/books/MESSII/9013.pdf)

When the term "shock-melt" appears is in the description of components...

"there is evidence of shock melt."

"the are numerous shock melt veins".

Jim