[meteorite-list] Struga, Macedonia

From: Matson, Robert D. <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 13:13:55 -0700

Hi Carsten,

Slow to respond to your list query of a couple weeks ago -- I don't
recall seeing any reply to it:

"Does anyone have some informations about a possible Meteorite Fall
(eye witnessed) in Struga, 1972? I already found some informations
in the web, there is also a PDF about chemical analyses. But it
seems this Meteorite has never been oficially published in the
Meteoritical Bulletin? What could be the reason for this?"

Subsequent to your post, I received an (unsolicited) offer to buy
a purported sample of this fall from a Mr. Ljupco from Macedonia --
I suspect you might have gotten a similar email which is what led
to your post on the Met-List. (Anyone else out there also
contacted?)

The images that Mr. Ljupco provided of his father's find were not
obviously meteoritic to me (especially for a supposedly contemporary
H-chondrite fall), but they didn't look clearly terrestrial either.
But the fact that Struga does not appear in the Meteoritical Bulletin,
and only turns up in one web link (the PDF you mention) raises a red
flag, IMO, as to the fall's validity, let alone the provenance of
samples supposedly associated with it.

Cheers,
Rob