[meteorite-list] Stone fragment from XinJiang Crater is officially confirmed not a meteorite!

From: Bofang Li <meteoritegarden_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 21:00:48 +0800

Hi Listees,
Today I got the info from Dr. Zhao Xuchao (PhD from IGGCAS, MetSoc
member) that the stone fragments collected near the Xinjiang crater
(formly called fallen on July 31th), have confirmed not the meteorite
by Professor Lin Yangting (IGGCAS, member of the Nomenclature
Committee). The tested samples at IGGCAS are provided by an amateur
meteorite enthusiast named Rex who claimed had found "CO Carbonaceous
Chondrite" in this crater several days earlier on a videos, but
actually the samples are burnt clay or limestone with dark crust. News
reports regarding this event several days earlier also commented that
Zhang Baolin from Beijing Planetarium claimed he got a donation from a
local collector which is an achondrite meteorite, and the truth is
Zhang Baolin got a HED achondrite slice from a collector who is in
Urumuqi (over a thousand kilo-meters from the crater), and the HED
slice from the news picture looks like a NWA. Now, we can say, as some
of our listees had pointed out earlier, the crater is not caused by a
crashed meteorite.
Regards!
Bryan