[meteorite-list] Stone fragment from XinJiang Crater is officially confirmed not a meteorite!

From: Bofang Li <meteoritegarden_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 21:17:36 +0800

Hi Martin and all,
Personally, I think the fall happened on June 15, Yuncheng city,
Shanxi Province should be a real one. My reasons are as the following:
1, the name of the witness (finder), the name of the village
(including district name, city name) were all enlightened to the
public. In addition, the witness narrated to the media the process
from roaring noise until they saw something hit the corn field and dug
it out; 2, From the photos, the meteorite is a very fresh one, with
some earth scratches on the surface. Generally, it is looked like a
fresh fall, and they also dug the small earth crater out and brought
the crater back to the planetarium together with the meteorite; 3, the
fall happened on June 15, but the first news appeared about a month
later, and that period is quite usual. From my personal experience,
meteorite falls happened in China will at least take 3 days period
from the falling time until the news appeared on the internet. The
larger the falling effect, the faster the news appear. For example,
2012 Xining fall took 3 days to be reported on the news, which is
quite fast, as it is a meteorite shower; 2008 Zunhua fall took 4 days
to be reported on the news, as it was crashed into a house; 2010 Huaxi
fall never appeared on the news, as it was fallen in a small yard of a
farmer's and only affected one family. On the other hand, the news of
Xinjiang crater this time appeared on the internet news within 24
hours after the so called "fallen" (or explosion), and that time
period is quite unbelievable for a small vallige located in the
west-most border of the country. Besides, the photo of the crater also
appeared together with the news on the internet within 24 hours, but
it looked too old to be a fresh crashed crater.

Regards!
Bryan