[meteorite-list] Sutter's Mill SM 53 main mass (205 g), was acquired by a consortium of five institutions

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:55:37 -0400

Hi Martin and List,

> Honestly, I would prefer this great specimen to remain intact, but it's good
> to know it will be well-preserved.

Agreed. It was a gorgeous stone. But at least it is being used for
science. :)

I'm curious about why the institutions in question were interested in
cutting this stone? It seems that there should be a surplus of
material available for study without slicing up this rare large whole
stone.

Was the large size of this stone (relatively speaking) the reason it
was selected? Is it because the interior of a larger mass is
presumably less contaminated?

Best regards,

MikeG
--