[meteorite-list] meteorite identification flowchart

From: Count Deiro <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 19:23:02 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

There are exceptions...important ones. Cases in point.

1. On my first hunt, the first rock I walked up to after walking 100 yards from the truck on a paved State highway, having spotted it visually sticking 4" out of the sand was the record 13.7 kilo "Stump Springs" LL6. The largest intact ordinary chondrite found in Nevada to date. By cell phone, I had to offer my partner a $100 to trek back to my location to confirm it was a meteorite. I'd never seen a meteorite before.

2. The first and only rock sent to me off a Craig's list ad I ran asking for samples from just folks thinking they had a meteorite turned out to be an extrememly rare 90 gram classification that created a furor.

It can happen.

Cordially,

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536 Met Soc