[meteorite-list] Doug Schmitt's Talk at TEDxVancouver on 21st October 2012

From: Mendy Ouzillou <ouzillou_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 21:04:34 -0800

The facts below are very well stated. So, we can either tear apart arguments
but hold our tongues, or we can put together a news release of our own
highlighting the incredible (and only most recent) collaboration between
meteorite hunters, collectors and scientists on Black Beauty and its
sisters. I would like to call on the IMCA to speak out in defense of the "C"
in IMCA to raise awareness of the good work going on. Yes, maybe there are a
few bad apples in the hunting and collecting community, but the scientific
community is not perfect either. Again, let's focus on the good.
I'm not one to allow me or the community at large (which includes
thoughtful, inclusive and appreciative scientists/meteoriticists) to be
slandered or be given a black eye without a fight.
As I have stated multiple times before, I'm happy to help craft a news
release, but can't do it by myself. So, in the scientific community, anyone
willing to go on the record and be quoted (does not have to be in relation
to Black Beauty) in response to this specific issue? Even better, anyone out
there want to be the "goto" person, i.e. an advocate, to respond to these
negative remarks. I am aware of Marc Fries doing a very nice job of this,
and others, but unfortunately this is a message that must be continuously
reinforced.
Thoughts?
Mendy