[meteorite-list] AD - Black Beauty

From: Carl Agee <agee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 08:31:06 -0700

Hi Jason,

I looked at your link. I think you need to revise it since it contains
false information about the cutting of Black Beauty (NWA 7034) -- at
least if you are referring to the 320 g main mass that is at the IOM?
The cutting was done with distilled water -- NOT ethylene glycol
(antifreeze). Also, stating in your link that our samples were "messed
with" seems to be a rather unusual way to describe cutting with a fine
diamond wire.

If you want to know anything specific about Black Beauty, I would be
happy to talk to you about it and how to identify it in hand sample
and nature of the reduced carbon -- my team has been studying this
meteorite with numerous lab techniques since August 2011.

PS: the Science Article print version will be on newsstands Feb. 15.

Carl Agee

--
Carl B. Agee
Director and Curator, Institute of Meteoritics
Email: agee at unm.edu
http://meteorite.unm.edu/people/carl_agee/