[meteorite-list] History changing meteorite fall

From: Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 07:32:14 -0600

All,

 I was off yesterday and had the H2 channel on in the background while taking care of a few things around the house. The programming included six different meteorite/comet-strike-themed one hour episodes, many describing the consequences of a "large" impact on a populated area. Although we all have seen these shows (probably several times) I know I still love to watch them.

Looks like there's no need for future programs to say " what if " anymore. Although fortunately not THAT large of an event and NOT "city-destroying" nor "life-ending" by any means, I'd say this fall has really brought home to people just how real the potential danger is. This fall will almost certainly be featured in all the future meteorite themed programs. Perhaps NOVA will do a nice episode on it soon.

History has changed today. Although we don't seem to have any reports of a person actually being struck by meteorite ( at least yet) we all will have to change our "talks and lectures" about the damage and incidental injuries ( over 750 people at this point and climbing fast) that have occurred from a fall. And if it is proven that someone WAS actually struck by a piece----- well ......

I'd also hazard to guess that NASA and the Spaceguard type programs might see some significant boosts in their financing from this?

Best,
Robert Woolard