[meteorite-list] Russian Meteor event Not related to 2012 DA14

From: MEM <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 08:50:45 -0800 (PST)

Two ways to look at this and two possible outcomes.? Either it was or was not related to the unperturbed orbit of 2012 DA14.

According to Dr Marco of the Dutch Meteor Society this could not be related to Asteroid 2012 DA14.? When asked about the possible connection and the speed with which the ESA published a disclaimer tweet he wrote:

"In this case, no trajectory for the Russian bolide was needed to come to
that conclusion."

With a geocentric radiant at declination -81 degrees for the 2012 DA14
orbit, it is impossible for fragments from an associated "stream" to impact
at a latitude as high as 55 North. As seen from the viewpoint of approaching
2012 DA14 fragments, 55 N is the "backside" of the Earth.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco (asteroid 183294) Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)

e-mail: dms at marcolangbroek.nl
http://www.dmsweb.org
http://www.marcolangbroek.nl

HOWEVER there is a mindset that potential debris streams are likened to water hoses or narrow stream channels in lockstep with the NEO aka Main Mass.? Photographs of recent collisions in the asteroid belt show that the stream rapidly spreads out more like a delta than a stream "bed" increasing the length of time/window of opportunity for earth to intercept any broad front debris stream.? I still want to see the calculated orbit and know this wasn't snatched from a parallel orbit, slingshot around the moon 3 days ago and over to poles.

Sorry, but I want a little more solid info from a group of folks that commingle metric and Imperial units with out changing out the values.
Elton

PS: As I see it, DA14 is well inside/below the Roche Radius for a low density rubble pile but not low enough for calculated high density objects.? If it disintegrates then DA14 isn't an iron.