[meteorite-list] Russia mega meteor and asteroid 2012DA14 related, yes I think so...

From: Bjorn Sorheim <astrogeo_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 06:30:16 +0100

The trajectory through the siberian atmosphere doesn't seem to be known with
very great precisison at the time.
I am working out from this statement from Jeremie Vaubaillon
on the [IMO-News] saying:
"the bolide was heading very roughly North-East towards South-West".

Looking at the geometry of the orbit of 2012DA14 and the location of these
russian cites east of Ural
at nine in the morning, a flat path over west Siberia is _strikingly very
parallell_ to 2012DA14's
orbit. Only this is already giving a strong leaning towards them being
connected. You need to be looking
at a globe of the Earth and its exact tilt and Siberia's position to the
other objects of interest (asteroid, Sun)
to get a grasp of my argument. If not, you would not understand the value
of the argument.

If NASA (if they indeed have done so) is rejecting a connection to the
nearby asteroid
I think it foremost is up to them and other 'astronomers' doing so - to
bring forward what reasons
of rejecting a connection. They seem to have brought forward none.
The message from NASA says only:
"Preliminary information indicates that a meteor in Chelyabinsk, Russia, is
not related to
asteroid 2012DA14, which is flying by Earth safely today."

Take note of the fact that the inclination of the orbit to Earth's orbit
plane is a shallow 10 degrees.
Actually one would say, 'almost' parallell to the Earth's orbital plane. So
no problem reaching any
point in the northern hemisphere, let alone 55 deg. N.
(And don't make the mistake of assuming that the meteorid/meteor is
originating in the
2012DA14's postion, they are flying _parallell_ through space at any
distance you may wish - within reason.)

Bj?rn S?rheim