[meteorite-list] Russia mega meteor and asteroid 2012DA14 related, yes I think so...

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:50:13 -0700

It takes a large amount of energy to split a massive body into
components with radically different orbits (and that these bodies have
radically different orbits is known beyond reasonable doubt). That
energy could be supplied explosively, as when a pair of bodies collide.
But that amount of energy would create a lot of debris, which has not
been observed. It is also statistically unlikely for it to occur very
close to the Earth (as it would have to). Indeed, that is statistically
much less likely than the simple passage of two bodies close to the
Earth within a few hours of each other.

The other mechanism for creating different orbits is the actual one that
describes much of what we see in terms of minor bodies in the Solar
System, which is gravitational perturbation. What frequently goes
unappreciated, however, is that three bodies are required. These are
most often the asteroid/comet, Jupiter, and the Sun, but certainly other
bodies are occasionally involved. The only potential body that could set
up these different orbits so shortly before impact would be the Moon.
But I don't believe that DA14 passed closely enough to the Moon to allow
a tidal separation of asteroid components followed by the complex sort
of "slingshot" effect that would be required to so dramatically change
the inclination and velocity of the smaller component. Remember, DA14
has been under observation for a year.

So that's what I mean when I say that there seems to be no reasonable or
likely scenario that could explain these bodies being related. But the
odds of two such bodies being where they were at that time are not
particularly long at all.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory