[meteorite-list] Russian meteor composition

From: karmaka <karmaka-meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 00:37:32 +0100

Hi Nick et al,

I found this earlier today. Maybe it serves as a possible explanation for the double smoke trail:

automatic translation:

http://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpodmoskovnik.livejournal.com%2F161151.html%3Fnojs%3D1

Cheers,

Martin

Von: "Nicholas Gessler, Ph.D." <nick.gessler at duke.edu>
 An: Rob Matson <mojave_meteorites at cox.net>, "meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com" <meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com>
 Betreff: Re: [meteorite-list] Russian meteor composition
 Datum: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 00:25:22 +0100

Hi Rob et al,

 I've spent several hours searching for different video footage of the
 fireball, the "smoke" trail, the hole in the ice, etc.

 First, can anyone point me to any scientific papers which attempt
 to correlate:
 a) the color of the "smoky" tail, and/or
 b) the color of the "fireball"
 with the type of meteorite?
 If so, I'd appreciate the reference(s).

 It always seemed to me that the "smoke" was so white as to resemble
 condensed water vapor than any "burnt material." At a couple of
 intervals, some pink or orange tint appeared, but the trail was almost
 purely white. That suggests to me that the meteoroid was largely
 ice, but I am no expert.

 There are several videos zoomed in of the fireball itself (unless they
 are fakes). The color was orange-red, but perhaps if someone could
 access the camera(s) taking the pictures one might get a clearer assessment
 of the emitted spectrum.

 One thing that was notable from the fireball and the "smoke" cloud
 photos was that the object appeared to be quite flat and stable, the
 flames apparent at the two sides, with no flames in between. The
 "smoke" cloud seems to confirm this.

 I don't think the symmetrically bifurcated incandescence and tail could
 have been produced by an object broken in two. It looks like one
 object "burning" at both ends. Perhaps some experts in flight dynamics
 could tell us under what conditions we could expect that behavior.
 Any pointers to literature on the bifurcated entry would also be
 appreciated.

 Cheers,
 Nick