[meteorite-list] Russian meteor and meteorites.

From: Steve Schoner <schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 00:44:30 GMT

Upon looking at the particle cloud, hearing the numerous sonic bangs after the main blast, and seeing a singular mass proceed for 5 or 6 seconds after, I think that there should be many fragments directly under that particle cloud all the way to the the lake many miles farther that has a 20' hole in the ice thought to be caused by a meteorite.

This meteor must have produced many fragments, each producing the numerous sonic booms I heard in the videos after the initial fragmentation blast. People should go out looking right under that path all the way to the lake.

And the large piece that continued after the blast for 5 to 6 seconds, and maybe produced that 20' hole in the lake ice, might be an iron. But so far nothing was found. If it is an iron, the divers should use underwater metal detectors, and if so it will be found.

Steve Schoner
IMCA #4470