[meteorite-list] 2012 DA14 and the Russian meteor: a strong link

From: Bjorn Sorheim <astrogeo_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 02:52:37 +0100

Hello List,
I can't see in any way how your statements can be true, and I wonder
how anyone can. I would assume NASA has way more educated
professionals in this than you. Why do they say: 'Preliminary information
indicates ---
not related'? They would have been able to refute a strike for all areas of
Russia according
to your reasoning.

When an asteroid having a shallow inclination of 10 deg to the ecliptical
plane,
that is Earth's orbital plane, and a fragment originating from this,
travelling parallell
to this, as I assume the meteorid/asteroid that came down near Chelyabinsk
did, it will easily hit ANY part of Earth provided it hits when that part
of Earth is
facing towards it.
Giving a large number of objects in a swarm around/forwards/backwards of
it, these
fragments from asteroid 2012DA14 will get to ground on all parts of the
Earth as the Earth
rotates through the day and night, that should be obvious.

On a psychological note, I observe that none of you have countered any
given sentence I
have written on this russian meteor.
You just manically keep reiterating that they are not related. I can only sea
anxiety behind this.

Sorry, Marco, but you are flatly wrong here. Your statement is absurd.
Only asteroids with very high inclination of 70-90 degree would behave the
way you say here.
We are talking 10 degrees in this case, and your statements are ridiculous
and shocking.
You seem to believe that the orbit of 2012DA14 is retrograde, which of
course it is not.

So please, if you can prove me wrong on any sentence or statement I have
written, do it.
But please, Marco, Rob and Chris do it also internally to the other members
of your
internal group, and don't behave like a pack of wolves...

I hope also when someone are putting forwards a clearly wrong statement,
me or anyone else are allowed to denounce that statement from the person. I
hope we can do so,
also with a degree of engagement and temperament. I say this also to the
other readers of this
discussion, as the temperament here may surprise you. Right or wrong
staements or
assumptions make a lot of difference in this case.

Bj?rn S?rheim

------------------------------
Hi all,

I still see suggestions popping up on this list about a possible link between
2012 DA14 and the Russian meteor.

I want to point out that even without an accurate trajectory for the Russian
bolide, a link with 2012 DA14 can be 100% rejected. The orbital geometry of
2012
DA14 and the latitude of 55 N for the Russian bolide make this impossible.

2012 DA14 and any fragments in a swarm in similar orbit, would approach the
earth from deep south. The geocentric radiant for the orbit of 2012 DA14 is at
declination -81 degrees. This means 2012 DA14 fragments approach earth almost
parallel to the earth polar axis, coming from the south. I.e. they approach
towards the south pole and the southern hemisphere.

This means fragments can impact on the southern hemisphere, but not on the
northern hemisphere (except very low latitudes north if we take earth
gravitational curvature of the final trajectory in account). Because the
northern hemisphere, and certainly a place as far north as 55 N, is at the
"far
side" of the earth globe as seen from the 2012 DA14 entry direction.

Compare it with a car. A bird coming in frontal will always hit the front
of the
car - it cannot hit the back of the car. Chelyabinsk at 55 North latitude is
"the back of the car" in this comparison, given the approach direction of 2012
DA 14 and any fragments of it.

- Marco

----
Dr Marco (asteroid 183294) Langbroek