[meteorite-list] 2012 DA14 and the Russian meteor

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 13:37:12 +0100

Hi all,

Piper Hollier asked me a very valid question and in the context of the
discussions I think it deserves an answer to the whole list.

Piper asked if gravitational curvature under influence of the gravitational
attraction of Earth could mean that fragments of 2012 DA14 could nevertheless
impact on (parts of) the "far side" of earth (the northern hemisphere in this case).

This is my answer:

"Yes, you are correct that gravitational curvature means that the last part of
the trajectory of an object grazing the limb of the globe can be slightly bend
and as a result, objects can impact slightly behind the line that separate the
"front" and "far" side of the globe.

However, that is a limited effect and in this case the latitudes North coming
into reach as a result of such gravitaional curvature are limited to really low
latitudes only (roughly below 20-25 degrees N). For as far North as 55 degrees
Northern latitude, an impact is really impossible."

- Marco