[meteorite-list] 2012 DA14 / Russian meteor yada yada

From: MEM <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 23:16:59 -0800 (PST)

Facts not in evidence... Chris , one does not need to understand meteors to appreciate meteorites. We once had an enchanting if naive young lady named Julie on this list who loved to talk meteorites but she never could wrap her mind around the physics.? Only in broad concepts did she try to connect the dots. (e.g the Earth has a magnetic field so iron meteorites are pulled in more than stone meteorites)? But she was precious in her un-waving love of meteorites.

I am a "parallel- broad-front-debris-field-believer" and someday we'll prove the existence of swarms around NEOs but this isn't the one to go to wrestle over, Bjorn. At least not that has to be resolved tonight.? Lets instead savor this once in a lifetime experience and see out the facts about the meteoroid and set aside our own irritations and agree to disagree.? Everyone has made some strong points but nothing can go further until we get a better handle in pre-entry mass/orbit and an actual sample of the meteorite before we start assigning a parent body.

?At this rate we will be invoking Goodwin's law by 5 am.?? Attacks on the messenger never resolve the truth in the message.? Lets not pollute the goodwill nor crowd the list with the debate over perceptions and second guessing the motivations of each other.

Elton