[meteorite-list] AD: FCM: Classic Romance

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 15:59:44 +0100

Good Day listees,

Today FCM will present an unknown side of themselves!

"Hi Mom,

Happy Mother's Day."

Clonc!

http://www.meteoritenhaus.de/img/Mundrabilla_231_g_01.JPG

"Love you."

Backside.
http://www.meteoritenhaus.de/img/Mundrabilla_231_g_02.JPG

Noo.. next Valentine's Day will come for sure, and between lovers and
couples everyday should be Valentine's day.
And as admittedly clumsy we (in general male) members of the minerals
fraction of the meteorite collecting community often can be in expressing
our feelings,
tell us, what would work better than to let speak our second love for us,
the meteorites!

A brazen, an iron heart, as old and steady as eternity, and not from this
World.

(shht and as only we experts now, if cut, polished and etched, internally
the most beautiful iron of all, which to tell, is forbidden by our modesty).

Hence.
A Mundrabilla.

231grams has the heart. 400$ + 7$ ship. Stand included.

Well. The FC Meteorite House could now swagger that Mundrabilla belongs to
the BIG FIVE.
(For even BIGger Steve: Africa = Gibeon, Northern America = Canyon Diablo,
Southern America = Campo del Cielo, Eurasia = Sikhote-Alin, Australia =
????)
But that individuals of a certain size are not sooo easily to be found like
from the other four, cause most of the tkw is allotted to the two large main
masses, and to the smaller, but still mighty two later finds; and finally
that modern searches are problematic due to the legal restrictions.

Huuuh and we could tell the many historic tales!
How once one of the main masses was found on a scrapyard. How famous
meteorite scientist Paul Ramdohr had let shipped Mundrabilla II to Germany,
where in 1973 in Heidelberg in the largest cutting action of meteorite
history that mass was sliced up (188 hours sawing time for one single
slice). How those fullslices found their ways into the famous collections
around the world, often as a main show-piece. To the Smithsonian or to
London (where IMHO I would be happy to see it one day on display again).
Because of their incredible beauty, as through Mundrabilla are running
enormous troilite tears through and through. Wherein the iron experts knows,
that - luck and preparatory art provided - the ultra-rare Reichenbach
lamellae can appear!

Oh and how many photos we could post here, historical ones from the above
mentioned events,
actual ones from the museums and the main mass in Perth. Etches. Or the
picture Norbert Kammel once sent with the Easter Bunny sitting on top of the
large Mundrabilla still in situ.

Look here, instructive for the rookies.
There you can see the enormous troilite inclusions shimmering through the
surface patina with a golden luster!

Here, the semicircle on the right edge, there is sitting a troilite drop of
an inch in diameter!
http://www.meteoritenhaus.de/img/Mundrabilla_301_g_03.JPG

Here it is in front:
http://www.meteoritenhaus.de/img/Mundrabilla_301_g_02.JPG

And in this picture the individual looks like the dwarves mutated into
stones,
from the legend, the Grimm Brothers collected and where Elbogen is
mentioned. The bewitched burggrave of the outback.
http://www.meteoritenhaus.de/img/Mundrabilla_301_g_01.JPG

Btw. also this specimen is for sale, it has 301grams
Hmm despite that really rarely still to be found so well preserved
outer-laying monster-troilite,
let's say 400$ too and no less, else the trainer of the FCM will beat his
sweeper up.

Ah and of course we would have to rhapsodize about the richness of superb
shapes of that locales. And here we would remember the newer collectors,
that these sculptures are not caused by atmospherical ablation, but by the
circumstance, that the huge troilite drops are softer and less resistant to
the terrestrial weathering than the surrounding iron.
Here an example:

http://www.meteoritenhaus.de/img/Mundrabilla_160_85_g_01.JPG

http://www.meteoritenhaus.de/img/Mundrabilla_160_85_g_02.JPG

formidable, isn't it?
http://www.meteoritenhaus.de/img/Mundrabilla_160_85_g_03.JPG

(huh, about that side, the not so sensitive list-members will think, that it
shall be kissed,
if the adored person refuses the Mundrabilla-Heart from above..).
http://www.meteoritenhaus.de/img/Mundrabilla_160_85_g_04.JPG

And imagine, what a coincidence! Also this specimen is ready for sale.
It has 160.85g. (O.k. now you expect 400$ too, right?) No. FCM says: 267$

Sigh! and of course the meteoritic housewife we would have to instruct,
that Mundrabilla is so grateful. No mess with grease and ugly oil, no
permanent exchanging and controlling of the desiccants. It's so much more
easier to curate than a Campo or even a Sikhote, as you can set it like it
is on the desk, in the shelf and it will withstand any humidity and
temperature variations as it is perfectly protected by its natural
Australian field patina and won't rust, like the often cleaned fellows.
Mundrabilla is so brave and so good, also in Rio or Hawaii.
Also we would have to play the price trump, asking the readers and admirers
to find out by themselves, that these outstanding Mundrabillas are
everything else than too expensively priced. And finally we'd had to note,
that for many of the esteemed list veterans a Mundrabilla was the domino for
their live-long passion...

Though all that, we won't do,
as the posting would get unhealthily lengthy and the PMs would come again
in,
why the sweeper of the FCM has always to be drunk, whenever he posts to the
list.

Have a good start in the week!

Your FC Meteorite House
Hamburg - Munich