[meteorite-list] - Re: Famous Dave / media coverage in general was better this time round.

From: Mark Ford <mark.ford_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 09:30:18 +0000

Having done quite a few interviews on this too I must admit I was quite impressed how the media do seem to be learning. They were making a genuine effort to ask rather than just speculating. And it was quite noticeable how facts like the casualty figures and bolide size and such were not too widely hyped upwards. If anything they were on the conservative side! There was a dreadfully slow news stream coming out of Russia, apart from the fantastic video footage, so this may have helped as essentially there was a limited 'pool of news' to draw from, so it all sounded quite similar.

Certainly in the UK there has been a resurgence of interest in astronomy over the last few years, and I think this has helped vastly improve peoples background knowledge.

Mark
www.bimsociety.org