[meteorite-list] Russian meteor: Stefan Geens' research updates - amazing photos and videos

From: Robin Whittle <rw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 13:18:19 +1100

Here are some more interesting items from the emailed updates I get for:

 http://ogleearth.com/2013/02/reconstructing-the-chelyabinsk-meteors-path-with-google-earth-youtube-and-high-school-math/

Another view from the west, with exact coordinates:

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiN1I2CK4gA

A view from the north-west showing the direction of the sun with respect
to the smoke trail. The camera appears to be directly under the shadow
of the largest part of the smoke trail. This shows a small trail of
smoke after the main trail, and that small trail is being disrupted
either by uneven winds or perhaps by different temperatures and
densities causing different rates of convection:

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwkKvLf3fZE

>From the south, showing the thin trail on the west and the immense size
of the main smoke trail where the greatest conflagration occurred:

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu4RuFg_v6U

Electron microscopy of meteorite fragments:

  http://www.rg.ru/2013/02/19/reg-urfo/mikroskop.html

>From the west, apparently 55.0406141, 59.0409778:

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD9Vmi84qgM

A more detailed map:

https://maps.google.ee/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=216221265233140305376.0004d5da6860954d651ba

Astounding high-resolution photos from the north, by Marat Ahmetvaleev,
apparently from: 55.170043?, 61.316855?, including a single wide-angle
photo of the entire main part of the smoke trail, and almost all of the
mini-trails at the start and end of it:

  http://marateaman.livejournal.com/27910.html

This also shows the dispersal of the trail over 33 minutes.

This video was mentioned for its sounds, but for me the most interesting
aspect of it is that it is the only video I have seen which shows at
least two smaller objects following the main mass after the main part of
the smoke trail. I suggest switching to full-screen and starting the
player at 4:30:

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ6Pa5Pv_io

It is a curious thing, but it seems that high levels of crime and police
corruption, including the staging of so-called "accidents" (including
people throwing themselves in the path of cars) has lead to so many
Russian people installing surveillance cameras, which turned out to have
recorded most of the significant videos of this extraordinary event.

Another curious thing is that one of the videos, I can't remember which,
showed a major intersection by a bridge, with the car waiting for the
traffic lights. The biggest visible to humans meteor event in a century
lights up the entire place, and as far as I can see, the numerous
pedestrians just keep on walking. How could they not pause, turn around
to see what the light is??????????

  - Robin