[meteorite-list] BBC reporters and Russian locals pick meteorites out of the snow

From: Robin Whittle <rw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 16:03:16 +1100

There's no mention of the exact location of this report:

  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21552923

"Just look for the holes in the snow and start digging." The reporter
and crew found four fragments after "just a few minutes digging in the
snow".

Boris Vasiliev holds an approximately 3 x 4 cm meteorite:

  "I was walking along the road and saw a hole in the snow, just
   off the shoulder of the road - and there it was.

   People were scared when the meteorite flew above us.

   But now, everyone is excited and will be excited for probably
   a hundred years."

Other locals, who are also named, hold meteorites and say they will sell
some of them.

I guess the biggest fragments would generally be more to the west. I
haven't seen a map of the strewn field. I will keep an eye on:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Chelyabinsk+%22strewn+field%22&hl=en&lr=&safe=images

  - Robin